Technical Writer (Volunteer)
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Are you an experienced Technical writer who is passionate about
making a difference? Are you excited about the opportunity to work
with smart and talented individuals committed to producing great
content in the public interest? Can you commit a minimum of 10-15
hours a week, working remotely on your own schedule with our
far-flung, diverse team?
- Note: The following is an opportunity for flexible, part-time,
volunteer work. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for
paid employment.* This is a remote (work from home) position.*
Minimum 6 months commitment required.
WhoWhatWhy is building a Technical writers team and seeks
experienced, savvy team members.This team interacts with others at
all levels of the organization and enjoys constant variety and
challenge. We're looking for an accomplished Technical writer who
is confident and prepared to model best practices in design and
organization of content.You should have a sophisticated knowledge
of Technical writing/ documentation, possess the flexibility and
openness to adopt our style, processes, and practices, but aren't
afraid to suggest improvements that benefits our writers, our
collaborators and other departments.
Who We Are
Before you decide to apply, make sure the WhoWhatWhy mission
resonates with you. Check out whowhatwhy.org. You'll quickly see
that we're a credible response to the raging debate over whether
the news is "fake" or not, publishing agenda-free research and
bracingly fresh analysis. At WhoWhatWhy, we approach each story
with an open mind, boundless curiosity, and a willingness to dig
deep and ask hard questions. We believe that this is the essence of
Because we're straight to the point, we make clear that, as a
nonprofit with a very limited budget that accepts no advertising,
we are staffed principally by volunteers - skilled volunteers.
However, we do have big ambitions - which is why we're seeking
experienced Technical writers to help us better document our
processes. That will play a crucial role in our ability to continue
growing and sharing our quality journalism with an ever-expanding,
- Write and review manuals and process flow diagrams of business
- Assist in the revision and/or creation of documentation,
ensuring all business processes are documented in the same
format/structure, presented in an easily digestible format and are
readily available to all users.
- Work closely with all the teams in defining the content of
System Manuals, User Guides, and other technical documents.
- Conduct end-user testing of documentation/flow diagrams to
ensure information is fit for purpose.
- Create documents/manuals inline with the branding and
- Partner with other teams, such as content writers and
- Partner with the training development team to create training
requirements and materials.
- Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content,
working closely with various departments to meet project
- 2 years of relevant experience as a Technical/Process Writer,
including the preparation of instructional manuals
- BA/BS degree in related field or equivalent practical
- Must have experience writing procedures such as Desk Level
Procedures or SOPs
- Experience with Google Docs and GSuite preferred
- Must be able to depict business processes from process
maps/flowcharts and thereby inherit information to construct
- Exceptional attention to detail and follows
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as
an inquisitive mind that guides the user to answer specific
- Channel your passion in a stimulating environment.
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations in an
- Develop new skills and gain valuable experience that can
enhance your professional trajectory.
- Do amazing work on a flexible, part-time basis.
- Have fun while you make a difference.
You will work remotely and on your own schedule; we require a
minimum commitment of 10-15 hours a week. (Though doing more is not
discouraged!) Because our staff is spread throughout the world, we
communicate mostly through Slack (direct messaging system) and
email, and team members are requested to be highly responsive in a
If you possess a high level of self-motivation; work well
independently but also have strong collaboration skills; enjoy the
opportunity to partner with other senior leaders; and can commit
quality time per week on a regular basis to help achieve team
goals, we'd like to hear from you.
We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions.
To apply, send your resume and a customized cover letter explaining
why you're a good fit for this position. Please provide a cover
letter in the space given or send it to . You should confirm, in
writing, your understanding that this is a volunteer position.
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: WhoWhatWhy, Aurora , Technical Writer (Volunteer), Other , Aurora, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!